Monday 30 March 2009

Whither Shall I Go?

‘Cuz I know that a lot of people are wondering what the hell we were thinking.

It’s a classic Family Song by “Ruth Selah” inspired from Psalm 139 (verses 7-9 particularly), used to be my dad’s favorite & was consequently one of the first songs I ever learned to play on guitar (at the tender age of 8) with it’s simple, basic chords (D, A & Em) second ONLY to “I’m In Love With Jesus” (with it’s even LESS demanding chord structure of D & A).

WHY, then, would we deliberately go out of our way to complicate the chords, muck up the melody & throw this minor gimmick all over the place? I‘ve gotta say, it DID used to be this sweet sort of song about how the Lord will always be there beside us no matter what we go through, so HOW does Metanoya get off turning it into this distressful sounding song like we always seem come out with?
If you weren’t already asking yourself this question, I’m sorry for ruining it for you.

However, IF you’re a more purist appreciator of Family classics, probably thinking that that’s the just only kind of music we know how to make, or we just wouldn’t think it was cool if we couldn’t put a semi depressive twist on a song regardless of what it’s about (no doubt due to some negative spiritual influence we’re being oppressed by) THEN you might find this explanation interesting:

If you look at this passage, as I said above, as a sweet reassurance that God will always be there beside us as a support & comforter, then the rather disturbed feeling we put into the arrangement might seem quite inappropriate. But what I was trying to portray in our rendition was the story of a soul who was TRYING to flee God’s presence. There have been times in my life when I just WISHED God’s voice would shut up & give me a break—you know, when our Heavenly Father sometimes comes across as a nagging mother? But He had mercy on me & wouldn’t let me go.

I am humbled by the thought of some who have gone before me, better men than I, who fell by the wayside of God’s blessing by straying from His Will. And I can only thank the Lord that He has not yet let me weasel out from underneath the crushing millstone of the conviction of His Holy Spirit.

Read the chapter again in this light & imagine toying with the prospect of descending into the depths of the sea, making your bed in hell & thinking that the darkness could hide you. Then realizing that wherever you run there will always be...that voice.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know your going to tease me to death about this when I get there, but that post gave me goose bumps, in a very positive way-- I liked it, thought it was full of conviction and I don't think I'll ever feel again that your rendition of that song sounds sad, because its very true of what you said, its not a song thats meant to tickle our ears and make us feel ''happy'' and inspired, its all about us going through these depths and battles but yet God being there beside us. So I loved it!
Nicole.

Anonymous said...

Hey, just wanted to say that you have a great website, very informative and ineresting. i have a friend who is in WS and she has being trying to get in contact with you about some music that she wanted. She appearantly met you at a WordStock, but hasnt been able to get in touch with you since. Anyway, since she's in WS she cant blog so she has asked me to ask you to get in touch with her. Her ID is: aine14@gmail.com. Please write her ASAP!
Thanks alot,GBY, Keep up the gud work.

Unknown said...

I don't know what fool complained about your version of "Whither Shall I Go", but Í'll say that it is a million times better than the origional. (Which can be heard on Heaven's Magic "Clime That Mountain" tape) The old one had this horrible high-pitched squeeky voice singing it (either Faithy or Rachel), your version at least sounded like it was sung by humans instead of vampires! I get a much, much deeper emotional feeling of love for the Lord from your version that I ever did off of it beeing sung at any inspiration. I wish you would remake more songs. I love them all!

Anonymous said...

Nicole content yourself with the guitarist and stop hitting on the bassist-- HE'S MINE

The Silver Princess said...

woah woah..as Michael would tell you.
there is pleanty of him to go around.

Anonymous said...

Oh Michael you make that Bass look sexy...as are you

GeoMicPri said...

Ok, anonymous it's time for your name...Or else I'm just gonna tell everyone it was me all along trying to make the world believe I have secret stalkers.

Anonymous said...

There are 2 anon's which one do you want ;)

GeoMicPri said...

The author of the last two Anon posts of course

Naked Jaybird said...

They are two different anons, I'm the 3rd one up :o)

And what's in a name? It is neither hand, nor foot, nor any other part belonging to a... woman

Elizabeth said...

You need to update your blog Michael, it's one of the few blogs I read and find interesting!

Anonymous said...

I love your version of the song. There are plenty of young people that wouldn't even know this song if
you guys hadn't re-done it. You guys are doing a wonderful thing, don't let anyone tell you other wise.
- Esther T. (San Antonio)

Y.M.R said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Locations of visitors to this page
javascript:void(0) Save Template