Monday 6 October 2008

Sucker For Love

A little something you'd probably EXPECT to find on my blog:



And THIS is so people can stop saying, "Cool song...what's it talking about exactly?" Which, for me, is sort of like when I'd draw a picture & my mother would say, "Excellent dear, it almost looks like a real...one. What's it supposed to be?"

Verse 1:
So you think you’re so big, you can just do it on your own
Like the prodigal son, when he ran away from home,
'was his very own man, held his life in his own hands,
But was brought to his knees when a famine hit the land.
A fool for the system eating with the swine,
Or a fool for his daddy back home drinking wine.
Now you’re heading for the pit & I congratulate you.
Take a look at yourself & see what your pride has made you.
Will you be a sucker for the world left for bleeding & dead,
Or will you come back home work for Daddy instead?

Chorus:
I’m a sucker for love, a fool for Christ’s sake,
A slave of the cross that I choose to take.
I’m all bought up & now I’m not my own
But it’s the greatest freedom I’ve ever known.

Verse 2:
You want to out-smart life, want to buy your freedom?
Well, so did Eve in the garden of Eden
But when her naked body was raped with shame
She knew down inside she had herself to blame.
Oh, she thought she'd bend a rule, she thought she'd be no fool,
But she's the sucker now because just look who's fool she was.
Now you’re standing in the garden and the serpent will taunt you
And dare you to go, go & do as you want to
But he knows the choice is what the choice has always been:
You’re a fool for God or you’re a fool for him,

Verse 3:
Yes, I’m a sucker for love, a fool for Christ’s sake,
A slave of the cross that I choose to take.
I’m all bought up &, no, I’m not my own
But it’s the greatest kind of freedom I’ve ever, ever known.
And you know it really doesn't matter whatever you are,
A business man, a worker or a superstar,
You think you’re living for yourself? Well, you’ve been deceived,
Believing what the serpent would want you to believe!
As far as I’m concerned the choice is down to two:
A fool for God or the devil, tell me whose fool are you?

Special thanks to the very talented David Ryley for the CGI animation; Nic, Marie-Claire, Celeste & Angelique for the charming back-ups; Peter for the mixing; Julia (of Eman) who, in '93, said something about Eve's naivety in her dilemma, which later inspired the concept of this song--that our only real freedom is to choose our master.

4 comments:

Elaina said...

I personally know two people (in The Family) who've told me that this song/music video hit home very squarely for them at a crucial time in their lives and discipleship.
You're being used...by Jesus.
KGFG

GeoMicPri said...

Well, I hope he will continue to do so.

And thanks for letting me know. That is always inspiring to hear.

Paul said...

I always liked this song, and its nice to finally get the words. BTW, you named the backup vocals, but WHO is the LEAD vocal? you? And who wrote it?

GeoMicPri said...

I wrote it & sang it. That's why I put it on my blog.

 
Locations of visitors to this page
javascript:void(0) Save Template